Anal Pain

Anal Pain when opening bowels, or a tender Haemorrhoid (pile) that protrudes at the anus, are best managed by the pharmacist and over the counter products.

Anal pain (pain in the bottom) can be distressing, but is often just the result of a minor, treatable condition.

The medical name for pain in and around the anus or rectum (back passage) is proctalgia.


Many common causes of anal pain will improve with simple self-care treatments, so you don't always need to see your GP.

But it's a good idea to see your GP if:

  • your pain is severe
  • your pain doesn't improve after a few days
  • you also experience rectal bleeding

Don't feel embarrassed to see your GP – anal pain is a common problem that they're used to seeing. Your GP can try to work out what the problem is and give you treatment advice.

They'll probably ask to see your bottom and may carry out a rectal examination (where they gently insert a gloved finger into your bottom) to check for any abnormalities.


(Source: NHS.UK)